As anyone knows who has learned the old saying “Leaves of three, let it be” the hard way, poison ivy has a nasty habit of causing lots of troubles.
If you have recently come into contact with poison ivy and are starting to develop an irritating and uncomfortable rash, we have a few things you can do to prevent the rash from spreading further and treat the discomfort.
- Immediately rinse your skin with warm water
- Wash your clothing and anything else that may have come into contact with the plant/oils
- Do not scratch the rash, this can lead to infection
- Use a calamine lotion or hydrocortisone cream on the infected areas
- Applying cool compresses to the itchy skin
- Try taking an antihistamine pill to reduce swelling
Stop by AFC Urgent Care Springfield/West Springfield 7 days a week, no appointment necessary, for all your poison ivy treatments and other acute illnesses or injuries.
Our convenient locations are as follows:
415 Cooley St #3
Springfield, MA 01128
West Springfield, MA
18 Union Street
West Springfield, MA 01089