DOT Physicals in Springfield and West Springfield, MA
Effective May 21, 2014, DOT physical examinations may only be performed by a federally certified medical examiner. Three of our providers have taken the necessary training and have become certified. We are trying to keep the process as simple and easy for you as we can.
If you would like to call our office before arriving for your DOT physical, you are welcome to do so:
- Please tell the receptionist, at that time, that you will need a DOT physical. Since not all of our providers are certified examiners, we want to make sure we inform you of a proper date and time in which a certified medical examiner is working.
DOT Physical Cost:
- Upfront payment of $110. One additional follow up visit will be covered in the upfront payment of $110 within 21 days of the original visit to initiate the physical. Any additional visits after the follow up period of 21 days will require a new payment of $110.
Before your visit:
AFC Urgent Care Springfield and West Springfield provide all of the forms you need to complete your physical at our clinic. However, patients that want to complete their paperwork in advance should consult the following points:
- Obtain the DOT physical forms and health questionnaire from any Registry of Motor Vehicles office or print it from the internet using the following link:
- Complete your section of the form, sign and date it.
- The information from this form will be reviewed with you during your exam.
- Please view our form here, print and bring with you for helpful information on important requirements to help us certify you.
When you come for your visit:
- The receptionist will photocopy your driver’s license and have you fill out some paperwork. Preparing the 2 pieces of paperwork referenced above will help expedite our registration process when you arrive with them.
- The provider will need to enter information from your driver’s license into the Department of Transportation website after your exam.
During your visit:
- The medical assistant will check your height, weight, blood pressure and vital signs.
- You will be asked for a urine sample for a urinalysis.
- Your vision for distance, horizontal field and color will be tested. Please bring your glasses to the visit.
- Your hearing will also be checked.
After your visit:
- Our providers are aware of the specific standards required by the DOT and will be addressing those issues with you.
- It is possible that the provider will need further testing or information from a specialist before a decision on your certification can be made in which case the testing will be ordered or the referral will be done.
- Additional information concerning sleep apnea, medications, heart and lung issues, diabetes and high blood pressure will be addressed in your discharge instructions.
- After your exam is completed, the provider will determine the length of licensure for which you qualify. The maximum is 2 years but many conditions require a shorter period of licensure. Some conditions will disqualify you entirely. You will be given a copy of your physical exam form and the original copy of the certification of licensure.
- We keep a photocopy of these forms as required by the DOT and also enter the necessary information into the DOT website.
Please call us with any additional questions. Our goal is to make the certification process as smooth as possible & to keep you driving safely!
415 Cooley St #3
Springfield, MA 01128
18 Union Street
West Springfield, MA 01089